Tuesday, 4 January 2011

Engaged not once, but twice!

One year, four months and thirty days ago I got engaged to my beloved Mr R. Actually he had asked me to marry him just after the previous Christmas, but to me, our "real" engagement was when he placed my sparkly shiny ring on my finger and we consequently told anybody that mattered our exciting news. I had more than a good idea that my Mr R was going to propose a second time. The clues were there. We had been looking at, and trying on rings, discussed that a proposal at the top of the Eiffel Tower would be too much of a cliche and that it should be from the top of the Montparnasse Tower so that you can see all of Paris and the Eiffel Tower to boot! And the biggest clue of all was that we were going to Paris for five days. Now who in their right mind would miss  such an opportunity.
As fortune would have it, the evening we had planned to to go up the Montparnasse Tower, Mr R and I had "words" and I refused to go up the Tour de Montparnasse, which is nothing more than a very ugly office block in a slightly tacky area, as not talking to one another is hardly conducive to a romantic proposal. Not what I had in mind at all! By the next day, we had made up and I had no idea when Mr R would go down on a one knee and pop the question. I didn't have to wait long. That morning whilst sitting on a bench overlooking the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens, my wait was over. There was no getting down on one knee. (If you have ever been to the parks in Paris, the paths are covered in gravel, so not good if you are wearing shorts !) But it didn't matter one bit! I don't know if Mr R chose to propose there because he knew that the gardens were a favourite spot in Paris of mine, or that he was keen to off load the ring that was sitting  lose in his pocket and could be lost at any time, to sitting safely on my finger!  That evening we had a very romantic meal at the foot of Montmartre sitting on the terrace of a very Parisian bistro and later we watched the Eiffel Tower twinkle...just like my shiny sparkly ring!

So here I am. One year, four months and 30 days later getting very excited about planning our very special day. Now there is one very insy, tiny hurdle in our way. I am officially still married!!!! But that little problem is being delt with. So although we can't name the day or book a registrar just yet, I can still look for inspiration and ideas. I have my little blue book where I jot down things that catch my eye, and I follow lots and lots of lovely blogs. Being a second time, and, I hate this word, a more mature bride to be, finding a dress that doesn't make me look like mutton dressed as lamb may prove a challenge, but hopefully one day my lovely wedding blogs will feature a wedding with a more mature (eeks, that word again) couple to inspire me.
My blog will record that journey to our special day amongst other rambles about this that and the other.
Hopefully you will feel inclined to carry on reading .
Take care and good night. xx

No comments:

Post a Comment