Sunday, 13 February 2011

I love holidays

I love going on holiday. If I were lucky enough to win the lottery, holidays would definitely be at the top of my wish list. The actual going away bit is exciting enough, but I have to say that I really enjoy the planning stage just as much. I can easily spend many a long hour  persusing the internet looking for the perfect location, best accomodation, easiest routes, best places to eat etc etc. Holidays can mean a one night or several weeks away, camping trips,gorgeous hotels, city or beach breaks. I'm  happy to give anything a go.What ever we do will be an adventure.

My favorite city has to be Paris. I have been there four times so far, and of course it's the city where me and Mr R got properly engaged. I enjoy doing "The Sites" but for me Paris is about wandering away from main tourist areas and discovering the real Paris. We've toyed with the idea of renting an apartment there this summer, but the city can become incredibly hot, and without air conditioning sleeping is almost impossible. Sadly affordable apartments come sans air-con so it's doubtful if we will go. Having long holidays is a great perk when you work in a school. What's not so great is that you are tied to going away during the hottest, busiest and most expensive holiday season. Hotels in Paris can be cheaper in August because half of the population shuts shop and disappears off to the coast or countryside for the Grand Vacance knowing that to stay would mean putting up with the stifling heat.



Mr R and I have a good idea of where we would like to spend our honeymoon. No lounging around pools in far off places for us. For a start the most flesh I would ever expose is the odd bare arm and maybe an ankle or two. Any more and the sight of my barely covered bod could traumatise people for good. So no poolside sunbathing for me. And secondly, Mr R isn't a keen flyer and would prefer to keep both feet firmly on the ground. No, we would rather stay a bit closer to home.
Last summer we drove down through France to the Med and stayed in a wonderful little town in the foothills of the Pyrenees and a stone's throw from Spain. We rented a gorgeous apartment in the picturesque old town two doors away from Picasso's studio. Art is everywhere in this little town. It even has it's own museum of modern art featuring works from it's most famous resident.
We instantly fell in love with the beautiful area. Leave the town and turn left and you go up into the mountains. Turn right and you are on the coast. Go either way and you are in Spain 20 minutes later. Day's were spent either exploring or soaking up the sun reading books on our terrace with views to die for. Evenings were spent eating alfresco in one of the many restaurants and then listening to live music playing in the town's streets.
To us, it's the perfect place to spend the first weeks of our married life.

Ceret....Perhaps a honeymoon destination 


Go one way and you are in the Pyrenees

Go the other way and you reach the Med.

I'm getting rather excited at the moment. On Saturday me and Mr R will be winding our way down to Mousehole in far west Cornwall for a weeks R and R. I love Cornwall at this time of the year. There are no crowds to contend with and if you are lucky, you can witness some amazing storms. There can be days when it's positively spring like. I remember when the boys were little and stripped down to their undies tp play on Porthcurno beach in February! You  usually get to see the first daffodils in bloom as it's just that little bit milder being further south.


We have booked a  sweet little cottage close to the harbour. It had to have a woodburner so that the evenings can be spent warming our toes with a glass of something red and yummy.When we can't be bothered to cook there are great restaurants and a super pub all within a stone's throw away. Yesturday Mr R treated me to a pair of walking shoes so that we can go off on the odd hike or two, hopefully with a pub somewhere en route for a pasty and a pint! 

Our little cottage

Take care and lots of love

Brigitte xx

2 comments:

  1. Were we separated at birth? I LOVE France and Cornwall. Either is perfection in my book. I love the look of the Cornish cottage. I'm most decidedly envious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. France and Cornwall are very much my favorite places to visit.Fortunately, neither are too far away from us to get to. I'm getting very excited about staying in our little cottage. I would invite you to come and stay but sadly it only sleeps four! xx

    ReplyDelete