Monday, 6 June 2011

J'adore Paris....considering a theme!

One of my most favourite places on Earth just has to be Paris, and as the Ella Fitzgerald song goes; I love Paris in the Springtime, I love Paris in the Fall. I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles,I love Paris in the winter, when it drizzles, And like Ella I would be happy visiting the City of Light at any time of the year. Our trip this summer will be my fifth. I've "done" all of the main sights, so this time we just want to experience the real Paris away from the touristy areas. The last visit holds a very special place in my heart as it's the city that Mr R proposed to me. Not at the top of the Eiffel Tower which seems like the most obvious choice, but on a bench facing the round pond in the Jardins de Luxembourg on a hot and sunny afternoon. The park is one of my favourite places in the city, and his decision to pop the question there was just perfect. With all of the excitement of the proposal we forgot to remember exactly which bench we were sitting on, so when we return it'll be a case of guessing which is "our bench!"!
The view from our bench.

It seemed only right when considering a possible theme for our wedding day, that Paris should be right at the top of the list. Now,we aren't talking wall to wall Eiffel Towers,berets,accordians and anything else obviously associated with the city. I don't want an obvious theme, just little subtle touches.I had considered going along the lines of an Amelie inspired  theme, but that's too whimsical, or maybe Chanel, but that's too glamorous for our informal wedding. Then I remembered a photograph by one of my favourite photographers and that decided it....vintage Paris.
Le Baiser de l'Hotel de Ville by Robert Doisneau

I love his other works that depict life in post war Paris.
I also like





Now comes the tricky part. How do I get to inject a little Parisian vintage into the day without making it look too obvious? Our venue at Goldbrick House just cries out vintage and is perfect for adding a lttle bit of 1950's Paris.The ceremony and wedding breakfast room has gorgeous plummy purple upholstered chairs, so I would like to incorporate purple and maybe a little sage green.  I really do need some inspiration, so if anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Meanwhile I'm going to listen to a little Edith Piaf and pretend I'm sitting in a cafe on a boulevard, drinking un cafe and watching the world go by.

A bientot mes amies. xx

10 comments:

  1. Well, off the top of my head, you could name your tables after Paris icons - L'Arc de Triomphe, Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame etc - with nice pics. You could also make the food French influenced - French Onion soup etc. And you could also have a Croquembouche instead of a wedding cake. I have seen cute little pewter Eiffel towers as place card holders (not remotely tacky) but I think that's something you'd want to hire!

    Px

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been past Paris but never in but it looks fab xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. A vintage Paris themed wedding sounds amazing! I like the table name idea - you could decorate the place-settings and seat listings with suitably Parisian artwork too...

    Getting lots of inspiration for my first ever trip to Paris next month from this post as well, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments ladies and thank you for reading my little blog.It means a lot to me. I've been considering naming our four tables after the Paris arrondisements that we have special memories of, and find vintage photos of them to display. We are a little restricted in our choice of menu as our venue is in a restaurant that isn't french, but I am thinking french macaroons on the cake table.

    I'm sure that you will fall in love with this beautiful city Liz and hope that you have a fabbest of time there. We love walking along the banks of the Canal Saint Martin. It's like a little oasis in the centre of the city. Very different than the Seine.Another favourite of ours is the Buttes Chaumont,in the north of the city.It's a lovely park used by Parisians. Great for taking a picnic when you need to take a rest from all of the walking you will be doing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went there for a day and HATED it - clearly I need to take some advice from you and go back.

    Macaroons - mmmmm. And love the arrondisemonts idea too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! What didn't you like? The only place that I avoid is the Eiffel Tower. So touristy. Horrendously long queues,persistent hawkers and gun weilding police.The tower is best viewed from afar, especially at night when it twinkles on the hour. Do please give it a second chance.Give the Champs Elysee,Arc de Triomphe and Notre Dame a miss and explore the back streets and lesser known areas. That's the real Paris!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely idea! How about french food-themed tables? Macarons, escargots - OK, maybe baguettes and frites might be a bit naff... but with a bit more thought it could work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Like it!We could include french patisserie. As well as the macarons,we could include Mille feuille,eclair au chocolat,religieuse frambois. How pretty !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh that is a lovely wedding theme idea. I think onion soup with crusty French bread, a wedding cake with a fabulous Paris inspired cake topper. A vintage French bike for your wedding photos... Cafe au lait... Can I have an invite. Am hungry now. Have you heard of pinterest? It's a great way to keep all your visual clues together. If you need an invite let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mel. Lovely to read your comment. I like the idea of a vintage french bike. My h2b is a keen bikie so it would fit in with the theme perfectly. Sadly our venue is slap bang in the middle of Bristol and up several flights of stairs so might be a bit impractical. However, I have found a great vintage Tour de France print that I would like to use.As We are off to Paris soon (eeek....soooo excited!)I'm hoping to get a lots of ideas and maybe hit the flea markets.I definitely want french macarons and we are eating a lot of Bonne Maman jam so I can collect the jam jars to put flowers in (has Bonne Manan on the side of the jars...well it is French!!) I've heard of Pinterest but not sure how it works. Can you help me with the invite? I love your blog by the way and your photos are absolutely fab.
    Brigitte xx

    ReplyDelete