Sunday, 27 November 2011

The small matter of....Music!

A new post in the space of a week. I'm on a bit of a roll here! Long may it continue. So what to blog about today? How about music for the wedding! For the last few months we've been musing over ideas for what to play at various stages of the day's proceedings. It seems like there will be three quite distinctive parts to the day. The ceremony, the reception and the evening bash. So we've decided that each stage will differ musically from each other. That was the easy part. Deciding what to play is proving a little more difficult.

One of the many qualities that first attracted me to my Mr R, besides his charm and good looks, was his tremendous love of classical music and how knowledgable he was about the subject.
I've loved classical music ever since I was a little girl. Mum had a small collection of classical LPs which I would play over and over. Hard to believe now, but I adored ballet as a child and had lessons from a toddler. I  would prance around our tiny sitting room to the likes of Mendelsssohn, Tchaikovsky and Mozart in my tutu and ballet shoes. As a treat I was taken to the ballet at the Bristol Hippodrome dressed in my very best maxi dress and shiny patent shoes. On one occasion I went to see the Vienna Boys Choir and fell head over heels for all of those lovely sailor suited boys.

A dream never fulfilled. To be a ballerina.
My first crush...The boys of the Vienna Boys Choir

My first ever LP was the soundtrack to Bambi. Not an easy one to prance around to, especially Pip Pip Little April Showers!  Mum's LP collection was steadily growing and my musical tastes began to widen. I started to listen to the likes of Herb Alpert, Burt Bacherach, Edith Piaf and Glen Miller. All pretty grown up stuff, but I was a normal prepubescent girlie and had my bedroom walls covered in the Donny Osmond and David Cassidy posters carefully pulled out of Jackie magazines. My friends and I would sit and swoon for hours listening to  David's Cherish LP over and over  wearing our I love David scarves.
My hero, my love. I so wanted to marry you!

The years rolled on, and my musical tastes changed.From Elton John to Blondie,. Genesis to The Bee Gees. Joni Mitchell to Leonard Cohen. I still danced, but I'd long hung up my tutu and became a disco diva, dressed in my 80's lycra, leg warmers and sporting a rather wonderful poodle perm.
 A look I'd sooner forget!

My love of classical music never diminished though. But I my collection of classical CD's never went beyond compilation discs such as The Best Ever Classical Music ...Ever! One thing I did know though was that a certain Mr Mozart could do no wrong. He was my hero in the classical world.

My hero, my love. I would have married you if I'd lived over 200 years ago!

Then I met my beloved Mr R, who opened my eyes, or rather ears, to a whole new world of classical music. He made me sit and really listen to the music. He took me to my first concert in donkeys years. Not to a big concert hall, but the rather beautiful St Georges Hall in Bristol to listen to, amongst other pieces, Dvorak's 6th symphony. I sat on the edge of my pew throughout, loving it. My breath literally taken away. It's fitting somewhat that St Georges is just behind our wedding venue and we hope to have photos taken in the grounds.
St Georges Hall. Bristol, where I discovered Dvorak.

Mr R and I have very different tastes when it comes to classical music. He is fanatical about Beethoven, whom I find boring. He thinks that Mozart churned out hit after hit and everything was very samey.We both love Brahms and Richard Strauss's Four Last Songs leaves us speechless everytime.
 But please don't think that I'm a classical music geek. Absolutely not. You'll still find me prancing around the kitchen to the latest Take That. Or swooning over Micheal Buble!

So, back to our wedding music. What have we chosen so far. For the ceremony we have decided to include our love of classical music. For my entrance we have chosen a cello version of Morriconi's Gabriel's Oboe. Chosen in memory of Mr R's dad who will be sadly missing from the day. It really is a beautiful piece. For our exit we are thinking The Wedding March from The Marriage of Figaro by Mozart....of course !
After the ceremony the music changes pace. To tie in with our vintage parisian feel to the wedding we have discovered a fantastic collection of you guessed it...vintage parisian music!
Then the party begins and it'll be time to hit the dance floor and boogie on down! Pity that I'll have to leave my lycra at home for this occasion! So what, if we decide to have one, will we choose to dance our first dance to? At the moment I'm hankering after Queen's Don't Stop Me Now....classic!

No comments:

Post a Comment