Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Two weddings. No funerals!

I had a lovely telephone interview with a very nice journalist yesturday. If all goes to plan, your's truly might have found fame at last when she is part of a feature about finding love in later life. How exciting is that! One of the questions she asked was how is this wedding different than the last, and that got me thinking. How different is this wedding from the one I organised in 1989?

So, what about wedding number one....

Wedding inspiration

None.But made good use of the Yellow Pages!

 Hen do

A bottle of Chardonnay shared with my mum and sister in a wine bar in Bath, followed by a meal in a now defunct chain restaurant. Tucked up in bed with a mug of cocoa and my Big Ted by 10.30

Getting ready

The night before spent at my parents house. On the morning of the wedding I had to travel across town to my hairdressers, then onto the beauticians to get my make up done. Sandwiches and a chocolate milkshake at home before getting dressed.  

Dress

A dress made by my mum. Very 1980's. Very Princess Di! Broiderie anglaise basque, hold up stockings,Laura Ashley satin courts and a vintage lace veil topped oof with a flower circlet!

Flowers

I had a teardrop bouquet of pale pink roses, something that looked like cow parsley and rosemary. My bridesmaids had similar but as posies. There were little table decorations at the reception of a few carnations stuck in some oasis . Mum and I bought buckets full of flowers from the local nursery and the church flower ladies turned them into rather lovely displays.  

Bridesmaids

My sister and future sister in laws. Mum made their dresses.Sugar pink cotton knee length dresses, straw boaters and flat canvas pumps! My sister has just about forgiven me for making her look more than a little silly in a straw hat!

Wedding transport

A vintage car. Pretty, but awfully slow. My new husband fell asleep in it on the way to our reception ! 

Groom

Husband number one wore a morning suit and a pink tie. His best man was his best friend and he had four other friends as ushers. 

Ceremony

The church in the village where I grew up.


Reception

A country house hotel not far from Tetbury. I'd passed it many times and always dreamt of having my wedding there.

Guests

About 120, of which I hadn't the faintest idea of who 50% of them  were! The receiving line went on and on and on...... 

Photographs

I chose the photographer purely on the basis that he had a shop in what I thought was a posh part of  Bristol! I have an album of wedding photos full of people lined up and grinning at the camera. There is one risky photo of me showing a bit of leg!

The cake

A traditional three tier frit cake covered in royal icing topped off with flowers stuck in yet more oasis!

Venue styling

Hmmm....what's that!

The little details

Sugar almonds wrapped in netting as  favours

First dance

When I fall in love...Nat King Cole

Going away outfit

Turquoise silk pencil skirt and flowery silk blouse from Monsoon. It cost a fortune. Nearly £100. Pity our guests only saw it for approximately 5minutes! 

Honeymoon

The good bit...three nights in a posh hotel followed by three weeks touring the world. The not so good bit....I had to share my honeymoon with 46 others on a hockey tour wearing a turquoise and lemon shell suit!  


And now for wedding number two!

Wedding inspiration

Magazines, blogs, websites, Twitter,  Facebook, wedding fairs....so much choice. (Too much sometimes!)

Hen do

A vintage tea party followed by cocktails and tapas in Bristol with 15 of my lovely girlies . Garish pink and L plates are banned. The dress code is femininity! (If there is such a word!)

Getting ready

Me and Mr R are spending the night together in a boutique town house hotel in Bristol. At some point the next morning he will disappear to the hotel where his family are staying to get ready, leaving me with my best girls to get ready and sip champagne whilst having my hair and make up done professionally. No trips to a salon this time around!

Dress

No bespoke dress made by mum this time. I found the cheapest dress that looked ok. It'll do the job, but it's not my dream dress. Is there still time for my fairy dress godmother to wave her  wand and  magic me a gorgeous dress? Wonderbra, magic knickers, support tights and Kurt Geiger nude patent shoes. No veil, but a gorgeous vintage hair comb instead.

Flowers

A posy of peonies and rosies for me. Masses of cottage garden flowers. No formal displays, just lots and lots of containers.

Bridesmaids

No bridesmaids this time, but I do have my best girls to keep an eye on me!

Transport

Initially I was toying with the idea of hopping into a taxi to get to our venue. But I could end up sitting on some chewing gum or worse, so  eventually I opted for a chauffur driven car. Only the one way though. We'll risk the taxi back to our hotel .

Groom

Mr R will look very hansome in a simple suit and tie. His brother in law will be his best man. No ushers this time around. 

Ceremony

A civil ceremony held at our reception venue. We want a ceremony that's personal to us through our choice of vows, readings and music. Number one son will walk me down the aisle, giving my dad a well earned rest from his giving away duties.

Reception

We chose a city centre venue so that our guests wouldn't have a problem finding somewhere to stay. Something I didn't give a moments thought back in 1989. We both love Bristol and we wanted something a little unique and a little quirky. Goldbrick House fitted the bill  exactly !

Guests

Only 39 guests plus a few more for the evening and we know all of them !

Photographs

Getting the photos right was very important to us. We didn't want any cheesy shots or anything too formal. We wanted relaxed, capture the moment photos, A record of the whole day including the smallest detail. After much research we think we have found someone very talented who ticks all of the boxes. I can't wait to see what he comes up with, We've also invested in a camcorder and I've asked son number one who has just finished a film degree to make use of on the day. God knows what the results will be after he's enjoyed a few glasses of champagne, followed by a few glasses of Guiness, followed by a few glasses of Jack Daniels....!

The cake

A table laden with homemade cupcakes, a beautiful cutting cake made by a clever friend and french macarons all displayed on an eclectic mix of cake stands. 

Venue Styling

Vintage with a hint of Paris thrown in. It's been great fun collecting bits and bobs from ebay and friends. I have a lovely friend who is making me some bunting and we have a wedding stylist who will wave her magic wand and transform our venue whilst we concentrate on making ourselves look fabulous for our big day!

The little details

No favours as we feel that they are a waste of money. Conversation ice breakers on the table,guest message tags, flip flops for tired feet, photo booth props. A wedding website to provide guest information.

First dance

Nothing planned. 

Going away outfit

My wedding dress!

Honeymoon

We will spend two nights in Bristol and then it's back to work. We will have to wait until the school holidays and then we are off to the south of France. Just the two of us this time and definitely no shell suits!
 

 

 

 



 

 .



2 comments:

  1. How lovely. I really love the comparison of both weddings. Such enjoyable reading. Wedding one sounded SO 80s whilst your forthcoming do just sounds absolutely wonderful, delightfully personal with some lovely little touches. wishing you much luck and happiness for the day and your future together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely thing to say. Thank you so much. It means a lot to me knowing that my little blog is read and all of the one finger typing hasn't been in vain! :-) xx

    ReplyDelete